Friday, August 14, 2009

Thing 21: Podcasts

Since I have started to work more closely with teens at my library, I decided to listen to a couple of teen-oriented podcasts. The first one was a public library podcast featuring a teen reading her 3rd place winning short story from a contest the library held. I thought the audio quality was good, she was careful in her reading and I thought it came across very well. I did not see a way to subscribe to this library's podcast, but I personally would not if the opportunity presented itself. I think if I was a patron interested in what activities and events were going on, then I would definitely subscribe in order to keep in touch with what is going on. The second podcast I listened to a speaker from InfoPeople talk about teens and poetry. The audio quality was excellent. I think if I had more time to listen to podcasts, I might possibly subscribe to this one.

I think some podcasts might be of interest or use to our patrons. Although we have a lot going on in the line of programming, I think at this point we don't have quite enough to qualify starting a podcast. We've recently started a Twitter, and I think that is currently grabbing the attention of a pretty large audience. The only downside to podcasting is finding the time to listen to them and download them.

Out of curiosity, I decided to search iTunes for public library podcasts. I was surprised at the results that came back. And I noted that a great majority of them were targeting teens or created by teen groups at public libraries. This is a subject that might need to be brought up to our teens to gauge their interest in podcasting to see if it would be something we might want to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment